Follow me!

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Personal post: Losing moms baking gadgets and cookbooks (moms cream sauce recipe)


Even though it happened years ago, something has been heavy on my heart the past several days...

In 2011, I started a new life for myself and my son. It was an intense situation that warranted an exit plan. For my safety, I left my home of 11 years and took my son with me. I started over.

The day we left, I was the one who had to pack up a car full of our immediately needed items. It had to be done very quickly as the window of time I had was short.

After living on our own for about 1 month, the ex "agreed" to give me 1 hour to get some of the items I had to leave behind.

As organized as I am, with just 1 hour, certain important items were still left behind. I was able to take a small handful of my cookbooks and a few glass items that were left to me by my mom after her passing.

However, my recipe magazine collection was left behind as well as special baking gadgets, such as moms cookie press and cookie cutters. When I asked for these items at a later date, I was told they were all given away!

Those kitchen gadgets are lost forever...items that connected me to my mom. It saddens me still.

Thankfully, I have moms recipe cards and a recipe collection book. But her spring form pans, cookie press and many other special items are lost forever. I would use that cookie press every Christmas and it brought me closer to mom every time. She had held it and used it when she was alive.

Christmas decorations that mom gave me were also given away as well as a compilation of poetry that mom and I wrote together. What I would do to have those back again!

I am thankful for the items that I was able to save, but at the same time, sad about the items I lost because someone wanted to hurt me.

Lessons learned: 
Keep your special items safe and know where they are at all times.
Be sure to keep a list of said items in the event you ever need to have them with you for any reason.
Stay organized.
Don't put such hateful gestures past anyone.

On a happy note: 

Moms Cream Sauce Recipe
  • 1  Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Melt butter in a pan on the stove.
Remove from heat.
Add flour and salt.
Add milk slowly.
Return to heat and boil for 1 minute.

I have used this over pasta and cooked veggies.

2 comments:

  1. I left behind books given to me by my dad during a move. Since he always inscribes them, each was personal. This was a huge loss for me, so I understand how you feel . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard... I think about theses items way too often.But I AM definitely thankful for the things I still have :) Thank you for relating to me and understanding :)

      Delete