Follow me!

Thursday, October 11, 2018

Product review: Tovolo pastry sheet, cutter and crust cutter PLUS pie crust recipes



I have recently been gifted several new baking products that I am super excited to tell you about!

Tovolo has sent me three items to try and write about. I have a non-stick pie crust mat, which can be used for cookie dough or any type of dough that needs to be rolled. I also have a pastry cutter and a pie crust cutter.





Let me begin with my favorite item: The Pastry Blender

The cutter is light weight and is easy to hold. I have little hands, so finding items that are comfortable for me to hold are hard to come by. But, this one worked great with my little hands. It also has a white button, which you can see in this picture, near my thumb. This button, when pressed, extends half of the metal rings, which allows the butter that gets stuck to easily come loose. No messy hands!  This pastry cutter is definitely a keeper!






Let's talk about the: Silicone Pastry Mat

I dusted my mat with a touch of flour prior to rolling my pie dough and when it was time to transfer the dough to my pie plate, it came up nicely with no sticking. I rinsed it off under the spray nozzle in the kitchen sink and remnants of my pie crust came off effortlessly.

The only negative: everything sticks to the mat! If you have crumbs on the counter or wipe it with a towel...the crumbs and towel fibers stick to the mat. My advice is to let it air dry.

The: Precision Pie Crust Cutter

What a neat gadget! After you roll out your pie dough, you run this little gadget in a circle and it will cut your crust to the perfect shape for your pie dish. You just set the lever and roll. It comes with several different design options as well. These rollers are neatly and conveniently stored on the center knob you can see in this picture. A great gift for the baker in your life.





Here are a couple more pictures of the products I have reviewed:




2 easy pie crust recipes:


Pie Crust 1

Makes 1 crust
  • 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. unsifted flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup oil (any vegetable oil)
  • 2 Tbsp water
Mix all ingredients together.
Form into a ball.
Roll out on Tovolo silicone mat. (sprinkle mat with flour prior to rolling)

Pie Crust 2

Makes 1 crust
  • 1 stick butter (salted), cut into pieces
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 to 6 Tbsp cold water
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Form into a ball.
Roll out on Tovolo silicone mat. (sprinkle mat with flour prior to rolling)

My favorite pie recipes:

Apple pie recipe

Pecan pie recipe

Coconut pie recipe

Key Lime pie recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment