Follow me!

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Rustic Tart Anyone? Berry tart recipe...


I'm a rustic baker at heart. I like my pie crusts to look homemade. I like the unevenness of a pie crust. I like my cookies lumpy and I like my brownies gooey and messy.

I enjoyed making this tart because when you say "tart", I believe a rustic look is implied and understood. At least in my rustic mind, it is.

I used my pie crust recipe for the crust of this tart and added a touch of cinnamon to make it pop. There is nothing fancy about the look of this dessert and it is not overly sweet one bit!

Rustic Berry Tart Recipe


Crust
  • 1 stick butter (salted), cut into pieces
  • 1 cup flour
  • 4 to 6 Tbsp cold water
  • pinch of salt*
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400*.
Line cookie sheet with non-stick foil.
Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl.
Form into a ball.
Roll out between 2 pieces of wax paper sprinkled with flour.
Roll dough over the rolling pin and move to the prepared cookie sheet, unroll it flat.

Fruit filling
  • 3 to 4 cups strawberries and blueberries (mixed)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
Add the first 4 ingredients into a bowl and stir until well combined.
Spoon into rolled crust, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges.

Fold the crust over filling (center will be open to the fruit).
Spray crust with butter spray or brush with an egg wash.

Dot butter over fruit filling.

Bake for 20 minutes.
Turn sheet and bake for 20 to 25 more minutes. The tart is ready when the crust is lightly browned and the fruit center is hot.

Coating (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp. jam*
  • Hot water
  • Sugar
*I used orange-pineapple jam

Mix jam with a dab of hot water to create a thin coating. Brush with a pastry brush over the dough and sprinkle with sugar.


No comments:

Post a Comment