Follow me!

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Irish Soda Bread Recipe

I'm not one bit Irish, but I will definitely do my part for St. Patricks Day by baking up Irish Soda Bread! (Spotted Dog?)

I am going to share my recipe with you, as I have it baking in the oven...

Irish Soda Bread

4 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt

6 tbsp. salted butter, cut into pieces

1 cup raisins
1 3/4 cup buttermilk*

*You can make buttermilk by mixing .25 cup lemon juice in with a cup of milk.

Preheat oven to 400*.
Line jelly roll (cookie sheet with sides) pan with no stick foil.
In a large bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients.
Add butter and cut it in with a pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly.
Add raisins and milk and combine.

Form dough into a ball. You will need to add a bit of flour to do this.
Separate into 2 balls and place on prepared sheet.
Use a knife to score each ball with a cross.

Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until light brown and bread feels more hollow than heavy.

Coat with sugar water by brushing it over the tops.
Microwave 1/3 cup sugar with 2 tbsp. water.

Cover with damp towel to keep moist and eat within 24 hours of baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment