Follow me!

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Make a New Jersey coffee cake anywhere, any time... Plus homemade Bisquick recipe



When I think about Fall, I think about steamy, hot coffee goodness! Then, I often start thinking about coffee cake because what goes better with coffee than coffee cake? Particularly MY coffee cake. I make a New Jersey style coffee cake. I even named it NJ coffee cake. The reason for this is because I grew up eating this stuff! You can find it in bakeries and deli's all through New Jersey, but not here in North Carolina! So, I developed my own recipe so I could have it any time I want it. My coffee cake has more crumb than cake and that is just how I like it!

NJ Coffee Cake

  • 1 stick butter, salted and softened
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk, 2%
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Crumb Topping 

  • 1 1/2 sticks margarine
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 6 cups Bisquick
  • 5-6 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Pre-heat oven to 350*.
Line a 9x13 pan with no-stick foil.
Cream together butter and sugar.
While creaming, mix together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
Set aside.
Add eggs into creamed mixture.
Add milk into creamed mixture.
Add flour and powder into wet mixture.
Add vanilla and beat until combined.
Pour batter into prepared pan.

Prepare crumb topping:
Add sugars, Bisquick and cinnamon into a large bowl.
Cut in margarine and combine with hands until well mixed.
Sprinkle topping over cake with hands, squeezing it together as you do. (You want the topping to be lumpy).

Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through in the center.
Cool for 15-20 minutes and top with powdered sugar.
You may have about 1/2 cup of topping left over, you do not want topping to run over the sides of the pan.

Save money and make the Bisquick! 

Bisquick

  • 8 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1/4 cup baking powder
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 2 cups shortening 

Combine 1st 4 ingredients into a large bowl.
Cut in shortening until course crumbs are formed.
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
This recipe makes about 10 cups of baking mix.




No comments:

Post a Comment