Follow me!

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Pignoli (Pine Nut) Cookies... an old Italian recipe



I have so many "Old Italian" cookie recipes in my collection. These Pignoli (Bin-yall) cookies, I remember fondly from my childhood.

As, New Jersey, Italians, we tend to say things differently than ANYONE else in the country! Pignoli's are a nut, otherwise known as, Pine Nuts. I grew up calling them Bin-yalls and Grandma used them in her meatballs! My sister and myself used to eat them so Grandma started hiding them throughout the house, in a glass bottle. Me and my sister found them one day in the bathroom medicine cabinet and ate the whole jar! Grandma found us and chased us around the house with a wooden spoon threatening to spank us, so what did we do? We hid behind Grandpa's chair and he protected us. Crazy memory, I know...but, those were the good old days.

Here is my Aunt Mary's recipe for these sweet and delicate treats:
  • 1 pound almond paste
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanialla
  • Pignolis, 2 small packs
  • Powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375*.
Line cookie sheet with non-stick foil.
Break up almond paste.
Mix paste crumbs with sugar and breadcrumbs, using your hands.
Add egg whites and vanilla.
Roll into small balls, about 1 inch each.
Pour pignoli's onto a plate and roll each ball into the nuts.
Place on prepared cookie sheet and flatten with your hand or with the bottom of a glass.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Sift with powdered sugar.


These cookies are sweet and rich.
More Italian cookie recipes:

Italian spice cookie recipe

Italian love knot cookie recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment