Follow me!

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Meatball and veggie soup



I am looking forward to cool weather here in NC!  To get into the "Autumn" spirit I decided to try a new recipe. The meatball and vegetable soup I made can be cooked up in a crockpot or on the stove top. I opted for the stove top option. 

First, I added olive oil to a pan and added 3 pealed and thickly sliced garlic cloves (which I later removed before adding the meatballs to the oil and placed them directly into my soup pot)

Second, I fried up turkey meatballs using:
1 pound of ground turkey, defrosted
and
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder, to taste
That's it...just 5 simple ingredients! I combined them together and then formed small, 2-bite, sized meatballs. I placed them in a pan with olive oil that was heating on medium heat for a few minutes and browned them up.
While they were cooking, I put together my soup in a large pot on the stove. I added:

1 large can (24 ounces) of stewed tomatoes (and crushed them up with my hands)
4 cups of vegetable stock
2 zucchinis, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 large onion, cut into pieces
1 cup mini carrots, cut into pieces
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
Garlic from pan
Salt, pepper and onion powder, to taste

When the meatballs are done cooking, add them into the pot.
Allow soup to cook for 1 hour or until vegetables are soft.
This recipe serves 4 people. We topped our bowls off with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese as well!
If you are going to opt for the crockpot version, simply add everything into the crockpot and set on low (you don't even have to pre-cook the meatballs). Allow it to cook for 4 to 6 hours.
We buy organic as much as we possibly can. They definitely taste better as they do not leave that chemical aftertaste in your mouth! 



Printable recipe:

Meatball and Vegetable Soup Recipe

Add olive oil to a pan.
Add 3 pealed and thickly sliced garlic cloves (which I later removed before adding the meatballs to the oil and placed them directly into my soup pot)

Turkey meatballs

  • 1 pound of ground turkey, defrosted
  • and
  • Salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder


Combine ingredients together and form into small, 2-bite sized meatballs.
Place them in the pan with olive oil on medium heat.
Cook until browned and cooked through...about 3 minutes per side (depending how big the meatballs are).

Soup

  • 1 large can (24 ounces) of stewed tomatoes (and crushed them up with my hands)
  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
  • 2 zucchinis, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 large onion, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup mini carrots, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
  • Garlic from pan
  • Salt, pepper and onion powder, to taste
  • Parmesan cheese, optional to sprinkle over top

Add all ingredients into a large pot.
When the meatballs are done cooking, add them into the pot.
Allow soup to cook over medium heat for 1 hour or until vegetables are soft.
This recipe serves 4 people.
If you are going to opt for the crockpot version, simply add everything into the crockpot and set on low. Allow it to cook for 4 to 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment