Follow me!

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Chocolate Malt Cake with Cherry Vanilla Frosting




From time to time I give up sweets. There was one instance in particular when I did in January and in March, for my birthday, I ended the battle.


I remember watching "The Ultimate Recipe Showdown" on The Food Network. A woman, and now foodie friend of mine named, Julie Hession, won with her Double chocolate malt shop cupcakes with cherry vanilla buttercream! They looked so good to me, I decided I wanted to make them for my Birthday that year.

I altered the recipe a bit and made a cake instead of cupcakes! I asked Julie if I could post the recipes and she said, "Yes!" 

Here is a link to Julie's original recipe that won the contest.... Julies chocolate malt cupcakes

Here is my recipe:

Chocolate Malt Cake with Cherry Vanilla Frosting

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup sugar (or a bit more)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup 2% milk
  • 3/4 cup crushed whopper candies, crush in food processor
  • 2 tbsp chocolate Ovaltine
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chocolate shavings, shaved from a 10 lb. chocolate bar (or mini chocolate chips)


Icing

  • 1 cup shortening
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 2/3 cup cherry preserves

Preheat oven to 350*.
Line 8x8 square pan with no-stick foil.
In large bowl mix flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and powder and salt.
Whisk until blended.
In mixer mix milk, whoppers, Ovaltine and instant coffee. Add oil and eggs. Add flour mixture to milk mixture. Add sour cream and vanilla. Add in chocolate shavings.
Pour mix into pan. About 3/4 full. You may have a little left in the bowl.
Bake for 40-46 minutes or until center springs back when touched or toothpick in inserted and comes out clean.
Cool
Beat shortening and vanilla. Add 2 cups powdered sugar. Add 2 Tbsp milk. Add remaining sugar and remaining milk. Add preserves.
If it is too thin, add more sugar. If it is too thick, add a bit of milk.
Spread frosting over cake when it is cool
Top with remaining whole whoppers to decorate!


No comments:

Post a Comment